What we did and when we did it. Sometimes.

What we did and when we did it. Sometimes. People, places and events to remember.

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Resources

I totally failed at 31 for 21 yesterday.  I intended to post something, but ...

Today I thought I'd give you a list of some of the resources I've found over the past 2 months.  Ben's postnatal diagnosis meant that I had (have!) a LOT of research to do.  I feel like I have so much to learn, and I need to learn it quickly.  The following books, websites and organizations have helped.

Babies with Down Syndrome is a book that gives a good overview of some of the medical issues that kids with Down syndrome might experience.  I have appreciated the comments from other parents, and I particularly like the way the book gives an idea of how prevalent the medical issue might be (i.e.  "this affects many children with Ds" or "this condition applies to only a few children with Ds").  The book talks about more than medical issues; it seems like a good reference book to have on the shelf.

The moms and dads that participate in babycenter.com's Down syndrome group have a wealth of knowledge and experience.  It's a friendly place to ask questions.  They also have a blogroll with lots of websites.  I have loved reading about birth stories, heart surgeries, achievements and therapies. 

Choosing a doctor has been one of my biggest concerns lately.  This page gives the guidelines for what tests should be done and when.  I'm planning to take with me when I talk to pediatricians over the next week or so.

Down by the Border is our closest Down syndrome association.  They do special events every other month - we'll go to our first event later in October.  Down by the Border also gives newborn baskets to new parents.  I picked up our basket on Wednesday and it's great: some fun stuff for the baby (a toy, a cute outfit, a baby bath) and lots of information.


Grab This Button

1 comment:

  1. Yay Deborah!!

    What a wonderful bunch of posts! I'm so thrilled to see pictures of Ben (and the rest of the family!). Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete