What we did and when we did it. Sometimes.

What we did and when we did it. Sometimes. People, places and events to remember.

Saturday, October 1, 2011

National Down Syndrome Awareness Month

Hello, October!

This is National Down Syndrome Awareness Month.  There are lots of activities happening on-line and in real life to educate and inform people about Down syndrome.  I am thankful because I have a lot to learn.

We didn't know that Ben would have Down syndrome when he was born.  We knew that it was a possibility, but we didn't really think about it much.  We prayed for a healthy baby, and we talked about how having a third child would change our family, but we didn't anticipate having a baby with special needs.

Maybe sometime later this month, I'll write about the prenatal testing and the diagnosis at the hospital.  I don't have the time right now to find the words.

I will say that I spent Ben's first month worrying more about his eating, peeing and weight gain than I did about Down syndrome and congenital heart defects.  However, now that he is 2 months old, with a good eating schedule and gaining weight, I am trying to learn more about Down syndrome. 

The most fun thing has been reading blogs.  There's a challenge going on right now called "31 for 21" - the idea being that people should post once/day for a month to raise awareness of Down syndrome.  I'm not participating because I'm only 2 months into the journey.  However, I plan to READ LOTS of these posts.

You are welcome to join me!  :)  And please, give me a heads-up if you know of a great resource or read a fantastic post.


Grab This Button

No comments:

Post a Comment