What we did and when we did it. Sometimes.

What we did and when we did it. Sometimes. People, places and events to remember.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Beautiful.

Corrie and I attended our first ever quinceañera celebration on Saturday night.  It was beautiful!  Our 15 year old friend, Aly, was gorgeous in her pink dress, and Corrie loved Aly's tiara.  I told Corrie that it would be 10 years until she turns 15.  She started sobbing and said, "That's too long to wait!  Can we have this party when I am 10?"

I had never been to a quinceañera before, so I wasn't sure what to expect.   It was as elaborate as a wedding (and way fancier than my own wedding).  Beautiful dresses, fancy centerpieces, dancing (and dancing ... and more dancing!), and it all began with the blessing of the birthday girl.  I think that part was my favorite.  Her mom and stepdad spoke words of affirmation over her, and then the pastor read scripture and talked about how the Holy Spirit would guide her as she ventures into adulthood.

I'm not ready for any of my kids to be adults yet, but there was something really powerful and symbolic and sweet in the readings and dances and celebration.  For those girls who have a quinceañera, I wonder if they wake up feeling different - older - more responsible in the morning.


 Here I am with my precious girl, who thankfully has years to go before she reaches fifteen.

1 comment:

  1. Corrie is beautiful and imagine that those 10 years will fly by. . . at least that is what everyone tells me about childhood flying by. I have never been to a quinceanera, but wow, it sounds like this one was beautiful and very symbolic.

    ReplyDelete