What we did and when we did it. Sometimes.

What we did and when we did it. Sometimes. People, places and events to remember.

Thursday, October 11, 2012

31 for 21: Faith and Down syndrome Bloggers

Before I started 31 for 21, I made a plan.  And boy do I need a plan!  I have a hard enough time blogging once or twice a week; thirty-one days in a row feels impossible.

Every Thursday, I plan to write a little bit about some of my favorite blogs.  Last week, I told you about The Hailey Herald and My Stubborn Little Miss.  This week, I'd like to introduce you to a few blogs related to Down syndrome and the Christian faith. 

I think what draws me to each of these women is that they are authentic.  They are honest about themselves and life and God, and they encourage me to appreciate life and seek Him more.

First up is Gillian Marchenko.  Confession: It's a good thing I live in Texas, because if I still lived in Chicago, I'd probably be a stalker.  Gillian lives in Chicago and used to attend a church I used to attend.  She also speaks at local MOPS groups and we kind of know the same people.  In my mind, she's one of my people.  Gillian has four daughters; two have Down syndrome.  Here are a couple of my favorite recent posts from her website: Ten Things, Learning the Language, Ten Special Needs of Mothers and For parents who aren't ready to celebrate.

Next is Everything and Nothing from Essex.  Here's a wonderful post about God's design and then this one has some great pictures.  Deanna's kids are adorable.  Her daughter Addison is her firstborn; she happens to have Down syndrome.  Carter is her second; he's a cutie, too.  Deanna is a great writer and her pictures are awesome.  She's real.

The last blog I'll point you to is Sweet Life with Boys.  This is another mom that I just like.  She's a preschool teacher with three children.  Her middle child, David (seven years old), has Down syndrome.  David spent the last year battling cancer and is currently in remission.  I found her blog through a prayer request, and I've been a faithful follower ever since.  Laura's blog is really simple.  She mostly chronicles what they did that day and how David is doing ... but her faith and perspective on life have blessed me this year.  Check out this post and this one.

There are many other great Christian Down syndrome blogs out there, and I will probably link to at least a few others later this month.



No comments:

Post a Comment