What we did and when we did it. Sometimes.

What we did and when we did it. Sometimes. People, places and events to remember.

Monday, October 8, 2012

31 for 21: Becoming Aware

Before Ben was born, I had no idea that October was Down Syndrome Awareness Month.  I knew it was Breast Cancer Awareness Month, because NFL teams wear pink cleats and stores have specials where you can get deals on pink merchandise.  As I've started thinking about awareness - and informing people about Down syndrome - I've started paying more attention to my facebook feed.  Did you know that not only are people raising awareness of Down syndrome and breast cancer this month, but it is also:

Spina Bifida Awareness month

Dyslexia Awareness month

National Bullying Prevention Month

SIDS Awareness Month

Childhood Obesity Prevention Month

Clergy Appreciation Month

Red Ribbon Week

Fire Prevention Week

Sensory Awareness Month (Sensory Processing Disorder)

Domestic Violence Awareness

Pregnancy Loss and Infant Loss Awareness Month

Rett Syndrome Awareness Month

Fair Trade Month

Disability Employment Awareness Month


... and more!

The more I think about awareness, the more I realize how much people just want to be known.  We want our experiences - our lives - to be understood and valued.  I have seen these statuses and announcements go by on facebook and realized that I know people affected by each of these issues.

I want to pay attention.


No comments:

Post a Comment