What we did and when we did it. Sometimes.

What we did and when we did it. Sometimes. People, places and events to remember.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Being Available

During my senior year of college, my friend Jeremy wasn't sure what he would be doing after graduation. He figured he had three options: (1) grad school (2) a job (3) missions. I'm pretty sure he prayed about all three. He also made himself available to do any of them. He applied to grad school, interviewed for jobs, and went on a spring break missions trip overseas. As time went by, God narrowed his options. The jobs and grad school didn't pan out, and his heart and willingness for missions grew and grew. The next year, he went to Russia with IFES (International Fellowship of Evangelical Students).

I'm in a similar boat. Now that we're settled in the Valley, I'm starting to see ministry opportunities all around me. The questions are : Where is God working? And how can I join Him?

I have a passion for working with families in poverty, work experience in a ministry to teenage mothers (shout out to New Moms!), and I'm currently a stay at home mom to two children. What do I do with myself?

Lately, God's been making connections. I've had several conversations about starting a Teen MOPS group here. My husband and I are also applying to be foster parents, possibly to adopt. I've met many moms who are new to the area - who feel disconnected and adrift. We're almost ready to commit to a church that has needs for small group leaders and kids' Sunday School volunteers. There is much potential and opportunity for ministry.

So I'm trying to do what Jeremy did: make myself available. I don't know what to focus on yet, so I'm sowing little seeds in lots of directions. I'm trusting that God will close some doors and open others wide. Lord, give me eyes to see and ears to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment