What we did and when we did it. Sometimes.

What we did and when we did it. Sometimes. People, places and events to remember.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A New Voice

I've been attending a MOPS Bible Study at a church nearby. We meet every week to discuss a chapter in The Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian. This week's topic was "Learning to Speak Life."

So timely! On Sunday, we had to discipline Evan for rude speech. We talked about how our words can bless God and other people, or hurt them. On the way to preschool Monday morning, Evan said, "Guess what I prayed about last night, Mom."

I said, "I don't know. What did you pray about?"

Evan: "No, Mom. You guess."

Mom: "Ummm... you prayed that Corrie would feel better."

Evan: "No."

Mom: "You prayed for Gamma and Papa."

Evan: "No."

Mom: "I give up. What did you pray for?"

Evan: "I prayed that I would have a new voice."

Later that day, we had some other issues with complaining. At bedtime, Evan said, "I guess that prayer didn't work."

Me: "Oh, honey. Jesus said that whatever is in our heart will show in what we say. Let's pray that he'll change your heart. Sometimes that takes a while."

It's hard to talk about these things, because I still need heart change, too. My words do not always bless others. My heart is messy and too often self-focused. I long for "the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart to be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my redeemer." (Psalm 19:14)

I need to keep praying this, for my children and for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment