What we did and when we did it. Sometimes.

What we did and when we did it. Sometimes. People, places and events to remember.

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Weekend Update (mostly Evan)

This was a big weekend for our family.  Emmett and Evan share a birthday: January 24th.  On Friday, Emmett turned 40 (!) and Evan turned 9.  

We celebrated all weekend long.  On Friday, Emmett and I saw the second Hobbit movie while the kids were at school.  A sweet girl from our church came over to hang out with Ben while we had our matinee date.  Immediately after the movie, I stopped at the elementary school to pass out cupcakes and juice boxes to Evan's class.  

Evan's party was Saturday afternoon.  Emmett managed to borrow Minecraft accounts from several friends and family members, so that Evan and 10 of his closest friends could play a massive Minecraft game in one of the university computer labs.  They had a GREAT time.  We took a short break for pizza and ice cream cake, and then they dove back into the computer game.  Afterwards, several parents hung out on campus while the kids ran around playing freeze tag.  I think this was the easiest party ever ... and now I have several elementary school boys asking me about when they can have another game day.  We might have to make this a regular event.

Emmett had his own game night on Saturday.  He played XBox online with several friends from around the country, and they played until after 1 a.m.

On Sunday, we finished the weekend by ordering Chicago-style pizza from a local restaurant.  It was yummy, but not quite as good as Lou Malnati's or Gino's East.  :)



* * * * * * * *

It's hard to believe that Evan is nine.  That sounds so grown up!  Only one more year until double digits.

Things I want to remember about Evan at this age:

(1) He loves to read!  This year, he has devoured the Percy Jackson series, the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander, and he's just diving into Harry Potter.  I loved reading when I was a kid (and I still do!), so his fascination with books delights me.

(2) He is a Two Square and Four Square fiend.  I don't remember playing these games at all, but they are all the rage in our neighborhood.  The kids play Two Square or Four Square at recess, and then they play in our driveway for hours after school.

(3) He still loves hot sauce.  He douses his rice, eggs, tortilla chips, etc. with Tabasco or Louisiana Hot Sauce every time he eats.  I worry about his stomach.

(4) He roots enthusiastically for the Seattle Seahawks.  We will be a divided house when the Seahawks and Broncos play in next week's Super Bowl.

I have more thoughts about the person that Evan is becoming - his commitment to training and practice (in math, sports, and more), his sense of humor, his growing friendships with kids at school and in our neighborhood, and his strong sense of justice ... but all those things are more difficult to explain.

I am thankful that I get to be his mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment