What we did and when we did it. Sometimes.

What we did and when we did it. Sometimes. People, places and events to remember.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Wall Art and Family Dinners

I am not a very crafty mom, but I like the idea of being crafty. I try to learn from the crafty ladies I know, and sometimes I outright steal ideas from them. For example, I have this canvas hanging in my living room:


Isn't it cute? I totally stole the idea from my friend Crystal. She made two separate canvases - one for each of her boys - but I opted to just do the one. The background is blue acrylic paint, and the leaves and handprint flowers are all cut out of scrapbook paper, then modpodged onto the canvas. It was super simple to do, and it makes me happy every time I see it.

We've added two other pieces of wall art recently:


Corrie made this pretty wooden cross at preschool for Easter.


And I treated myself to this custom-made wooden sign from RachelRepurposed on Etsy.

When I was growing up, our church would have a monthly potluck. Before dinner, everyone would stand in a circle in the fellowship hall, hold hands, and sing this song. I don't know who started that tradition - maybe one of the pastors? - and I don't know if they still sing it at potlucks, but I hum "Be Present at Our Table, Lord" regularly when I set the table.

I hope that our family dinners are a chance for us to connect with each other and be fed physically and spiritually. I'm not a great cook - we often have breakfast for dinner - or ramen - or mac and cheese - but we do try to get together at the table several nights a week. I know it'll get harder as the kids get older and we have more evening activities, so I figure it's good to get in the habit now.

I hope this sign will be a reminder and encouragement to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment